Thursday, November 13, 2008

Feast Day Thoughts

Turkey - Normally, I cook my turkey in a brown bag, coated with olive oil. It works wonderfully, but I'm feeling adventurous this year, and I think I'm going to try something different. I've never felt the need to brine (the bag method always turns out such a deliciously juicy bird)...but I saw in my free Bon Appetit magazine a method just called "salting"...wherein one rubs a salt/herb mixture inside & out, and then let it sit overrnight in the fridge before cooking.

As for the cooking proper, I think I'm going to do a wet-to-dry roast, and then glaze with a balsamic vinegar/pomegranate-apple cider/rosemary reduction.

Stuffing - will be my usual. Croutons (GF of course), mire poix, slivered almonds, sharp apples, butter, broth, lots of sage.

Sides - Alton Brown's squash/potato dumplings (with appropriate GF flour substitute, of course), and perhaps a batch of wilted greens. Cranberry jelly and either corn bread or buttermilk biscuits.

Dessert - Dunno yet. Maybe apple pie.

No comments: